Sunday, September 12, 2010

Renewing an old brass lamp

OK, so my boyfriend recently obtained two new brass lamps from his grandparents and I wanted to help make them fresh again. Before embarking on the antiques, I thought I would experiment with another lamp first. 

I went to my local thrift store (remember the idea is too consume less when DIY-ing) and grabbed this beauty.






Yeah I know, pretty rough. So I cleaned the lamp with a damp towel and then tapped off the top wiring and the bottom so I wouldn't mess up the cord. I used Rust-O-Leum spray paint on the lamp body. This particular kind gives the lamp a textured look.


And this is the finished product!






The lamp shade was purchased at a store that rhymes with FailMart. Don't ever shop there! Those superstores are one of the worst companies having little to no care for this earth. I was in extreme desperation and even now I still feel skeezy.

Lamp-           $3.81
Spray Paint-  $5.47
Lamp Shade-$14.97
Total-           $24.25

I think the lamp looks great, especially with this being one of my first times working with an antique brass lamp and I saved a pretty penny from the other guys.
Murray Feiss Commonwealth 30.5" Table Lamp in Dark Antique Brass - 9691DA Total Price- $234.95

And my $24.25 version!

                                                          
 I think my boyfriend will like it ;) What do you think?







  •                                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment